Frequently Asked Questions
Who should take this course?
This course is required for all nursing home employees.
Why should I take this course?
- First, it is mandated. Mega Rule 3 requires that all nursing home staff complete a trauma-informed care course. This is to ensure that residents who are trauma survivors receive culturally competent, trauma-informed care in accordance with professional standards of practice.
- Second, and more importantly, knowing about trauma and how to mitigate it will help you better understand residents’ behavior and how to provide them with the care they need. Trauma is a serious issue that affects more than half the population of the United States. Knowing how to identify a trauma survivor and learn about their potential triggers will help you avoid re-traumatizing them.
What will I learn?
After completing Trauma-Informed Care for Nursing Home Staff: An Introductory Course, you will be able to:
- Define trauma,
- Identify causes and effects of trauma,
- Define re-traumatization,
- Identify factors that improve resilience,
- Define trauma-informed care,
- Describe the benefits of trauma-informed care, and
- List steps to prepare for trauma-informed regulation.
How long will it take?
Allow about 30 minutes to complete the three lessons in Trauma-Informed Care for Nursing Home Staff: An Introductory Course and the final quiz.
What about quizzes?
This course has a final quiz which you may take as many times as needed. The passing score is 80 percent.
Will I get a certificate?
After passing the final quiz, you will be able to download a certificate of completion.